Dienstag, Oktober 24, 2006

Autumn Weekends /Herbstwochenenden

Die Straße hinter mir/the street behind my apartment house in Fall color
Here you see a little of my car on the lower right/Ein Zipfel von meinem Auto rechts
Hier verläuft die Grenze zwischen Stadt und Vorstadt/the city opens up a little here
The view from my east balcony in the Fall/Aussicht vom Balkon vorne im Herbst
Two wonderful weekends past and future: The past weekend I was invited to Oliver and Catharina’s for a French evening. Since she grew up in Paris, the meal was matchless; several courses and wine to accompany each dish. Then fresh cheeses and finally a fruit tart with meringue to close the meal. After the evening was over, I realized the three of us had finished off three bottles of white wine – one per person. I hadn’t noticed, since the meal was so superb. Saturday evening had me in the festive hall of the Leipzig Old City Hall (Old means from the 15th century) for a concert of the New Bach Collegium Musicum Leipzig. They performed several of Bach’s Brandenburg Concertos, considered watershed pieces for establishing conventions of music. This orchestra performs standing; there are no chairs, and the musicians sway and bend with the music, so it is almost like watching a dance as you listen. Georg Philip Telemann founded the Collegium Musicum in 1701, and J.S. Bach continued it, and this group often performed under Bach in the very hall in which we experienced this concert on Saturday. What a matchless opportunity!
On Friday I leave for Prague for an extended weekend, since Oct. 31 is a holiday – Reformation Day – and I am taking Monday off. Prague is a unique city, and four days is only enough to whet the appetite. So many castles, churches, museums, art nouveau cafes, clubs, bars, shops, and cozy narrow European streets. On Monday evening I will hear a live concert of jazz flutist Jiri Stivins at the club Agartha in Prague. I will also have a Czech beer in Café Café, a club where Johnny Depp and Bruce Willis have also relaxed. And all of this is happening during a beautiful autumn. We are having mild weather, and the leaves are turning beautiful colors now, so Prague will be a painter’s landscape this weekend.
For those now celebrating Reformation Day, but trick or treating, be safe and do not eat too much candy! I’ll think of you while I enjoy Czech beer, wine, and coffee surrounded by art nouveau…

4 Kommentare:

Bettina hat gesagt…

You are doing this on purpose, aren't you? I know you are. You're really trying hard to make me feel homesick for Europe. And it's working pretty well. ;-)
The photos are beautiful, as usual, and the idea of being able to go to Prague for the weekend is how I remember Europe... Nice.

Euromark hat gesagt…

Aggie, if you tour Europe, do come by Leipzig and visit; I'll be happy to meet you wherever and however you would arrive. But at the end of December and in January the days are very short here, and it rarely gets much above freezing, so no one wants to do much outside.
Bettina: Prague is a matchless city - so much to see, so many moods and environments there, and it's still cheaper than Deutschland.

Jan hat gesagt…

I am just reading your blog and looking out of my window at the same time - the weather has turned from almost sunny on Friday to rainy today. And they predict the same for tomorrow. Hope you are enjoying my hometown anyway.

Angela O. hat gesagt…

Those are computer graphics, aren't they? There cannot POSSIBLY be places this beautiful ;-)

I am quite jealous but happy for you . . . happy Autumn!