Dienstag, Januar 23, 2007

Birthdays in Germany

The comments of my previous blog reveal that I have had a birthday. I do not hang my birthday on the big bell (a German saying) but rather celebrate it in a more intimate setting. Why? Thus this blog.
In Germany a birthday is a really big thing. If you are at a government office on your birthday and they see from your form that today is your day, they will stop, come over to you, shake your hand, and say “best greetings and a healthy and happy year on your birthday.” They do this with an urgency that almost scares me. Well, if that were all, it would be fine. But the rest of the story comes. In Germany you should organize and throw your own birthday party – for an American that seems conceited. I would never put on my own bday party in the USA. You pay for and organize everything for a big party with food and drink (also alcohol), and everyone brings you gifts. And, your telephone rings and rings with people wishing you all the best on your birthday. It all seems very selfish and looks like I want to put myself on center stage and be worshipped. To add to that, I am often sick on my birthday, so I don’t need the stress of organizing a big party if I am under the weather.
I think it would be better to just pool several people together who have birthdays around the same time and have a community birthday party. So, what is the custom in your neck of the world? What do you usually do on your special day?

6 Kommentare:

Karen hat gesagt…

Community birthdays are a great idea! That's what we used to do at my job in OK. I don't like to daunt my birthday either, but I found that not telling anyone often left me alone and that was depressing. Sometimes even a card will suffice, but even those are becoming a thing of the past, even within my family, and that is also sad.

By the way, for some reason I have just always remembered your birthday. Count yourself lucky :-)

Angela O. hat gesagt…

Ugh. The last few years I've dreaded my birthday. It's usually very quiet with no party. Now, the KIDS' party in USA seem to be getting a little out of control these days but I am guilty of that too; no backyard 2 or 3 friend parties any more.

At my work our department (minus one coworker who doesn't celebrate any birthdays or holidays-yeah, whatever) usually chips in a few dollars for a group gift certificate. Then the whole organization holds one department a month responsible for some sort of group birthday celebration for that month's birthdays.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY Dear MARK, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!

Euromark hat gesagt…

And just to make things perfectly clear, I did get a number of wonderful emails and some calls wishing me a happy birthday, as well as a fresh baked black-forest cake from my dear friends in Pirna and a special calendar from my dear friend in Lübeck. These are some of the best friends I've ever had.

Bettina hat gesagt…

I don't tend to make a big deal about my birthday either. But I do like to have my friends around me. Last year I didn't tell anyone at work during the day as I didn't want to be the one asking for attention, but they ended up finding out anyway... I did have a dinner and went out with lots of friends afterwards, but it was all very casual- just to be with the people that I care about.

Anonym hat gesagt…

Did you survive your birthday Mark? We haven't heard from you in awhile.

Chris hat gesagt…

What if you do want to be on center stage and worshipped, like Aggs does for example?