Sonntag, September 28, 2008

Autumn

Fall begins - leaves become colourful and reflect in a large pond in the middle of Leipzig
A typical street in the city - apartment buildings from the Gründerzeit of the late 19th century with cobblestone streets - no trace of Fall here...

Fall is unfolding now. Today is a wonderful clear day at the end of September. The sunlight now has that typical soft golden character I never see in Texas, and every morning there is fog, since the ground is still warm and the air is cooling rapidly.
The problem is, the days are getting so short. What do you do here to fight that? You start going to events - concerts, cinema, plays, markets, and you make plans for Christmas. Fall here is full of memory days - Reformation Day, Day of German Unity, Day of Prayer and Repentence, Ertnedankfest - where you give thanks for the harvest.
After all the outdoor activity of Summer, Fall seems a good time to reflect with candles and tea. But this is also a dangerous time - cold, dark, and damp - what do people with depressive tendencies do? This is a good time for us to be alert for ways to help others, which may also help us make it through these days better.

5 Kommentare:

Unknown hat gesagt…

Amazing photos, Mark. Absolutely beautiful.

I do love autumn, although it does bring some melancholy with it.

Anonym hat gesagt…

Lucky you, living in Leipzig. Brings back memories. I'm an American who's had the privilege of spending some time traveling around Germany, from Rugen to Munich. But I've never been around for Unity Day. How do folks celebrate it? I'd like to know, as I write a holiday blog. Have a Hefeweizen for me!

Euromark hat gesagt…

Well, I don't like Hefeweizen (wheat beer), except the kind that also has some banana juice in it - sounds strange, but I like it. I am really more a wine drinker. Beer is something I drink with friends at a bar, where it comes out of the keg and tastes much better.

I'll post an entry on Unity Day, but it's nothing spectacular here.

Thanks for liking my photos, Bettina. I took these two very quickly actually, without much study.

ysfb hat gesagt…

First fall, then Thanksgiving and the scary Black Friday then Christmas Eve. Tis the season for people to get angrier.

Anonym hat gesagt…

It is quite amazing how colours change from one country to another. The autumn photos look pretty ... I hope you enjoy the season, even though the days grow short. Ours are getting longer now that Daylight Saving has arrived for Spring/Summer. The place I have just been on holiday in has gorgeous spring flowers everywhere. A visual feast.
Stay around bright light over winter as it is meant to keep depression away.