Montag, November 13, 2006

Almost Four Years of Leipzig and Saxony

The Saxon Switzerland - the mountains close to Pirna south of Dresden - matchless
A photo from a little earlier with Steve and I - I've lost weight since ...
Steve and Marita a little earlier - they've gain weight since :-)
What a wonderful weekend. Friday I was on the train at 4:40 pm. Going to Pirna, just south of Dresden. Friday evening had Steve and Marita and I in the bowling alley for two hours. Then, on Saturday, we were in Dresden shopping and eating in Dresden Neustadt, a colourful and somewhat interesting part of that city. Sunday had us in Schipkau in Brandenburg for a St. Martin’s Day meal – my patron, so to say – and for the birthday celebration of Thomas, a relative of Steve and Marita.
Entschuldigt, bitte, das ich schon lange nichts mehr auf Deutsch schreibe, aber ich habe den Eindruck, niemand, der diesen Blog liest, braucht diese Sprache. Bitte, meldet euch, wenn es euch lieber ist, auch mal was auf Deutsch zu lesen! Freitag bis Sonntag war ich in Pirna, Dresden, und Schipkau in Brandenburg. St. Martinsgans war So. angesagt, und der Thomas hatte dann anschließend zum Kaffee und Kuchen zu seinem Geburri eingeladen. Sa. waren Steve, Marita, und ich in Dresden zwecks Geschenke kaufen und haben auch mexikanisch gegessen.
Soon I will have been in Leipzig-Saxony for four years – hard to believe. With the exception of some disgusting turmoil at the very beginning – that had nothing with Germany to do, these have been some of the most peaceful and happy years of my life, and I hope this serendipity continues. I think I will begin a series in my blog now, several posts introducing you to some of the people who have made – and are still making – my life here so wonderful. Please read one of my first posts on my friend and roommate Sebastian to find one of the main persons responsible for my happiness here.
Steve and Marita in Pirna also play a major role in my life here “over the rainbow”. This mother-son team is almost like a second family to me. I hope you get to know them someday, if you haven’t already. I am very thankful to Steve, Marita, and Sebastian for their friendship and love. There are a number of other people who also play important roles; more in Leipzig, in a few other parts of Saxony, in the Erzgebirge (Ore Mountains), in Lübeck up by the Baltic Sea, and even in England. I’ll introduce you to them in the near future.
Demnächst verjährt sich mein Leben in Leipzig in Sachsen – vier Jahre im Februar 2007! Mit der Ausnahme von einigen Schreckenserlebnissen am aller Anfang – die mit Deutschland nichts zu tun hatten – gehören diese Jahre zu den schönsten und glücklichsten meines Lebens, und ich hoffe darauf, dass diese Glückseligkeit hört nicht auf. Wer nur das Deutsche versteht, kennt schon Sebastian, Steve, und Marita, und weiss, warum sie eine Schlüsselrolle in meinem Leben hier spielen. Ich berichte demnächst über die Anderen, and auch Schlüsselrollen in meinem Leben hier spielen, und die sind u.a. zu finden in Leipzig, Sachsen, den Erzgebirgen, Lübeck, und sogar England.

4 Kommentare:

Chris hat gesagt…

I am glad you have found happiness in Europe Mark. With the friends and scenery it is not difficult to see why.

Bettina hat gesagt…

Nicht einmal ich "brauche" das Deutsch, aber ich lese es natuerlich trotzdem immer gerne...

Your life sounds like it's filled with beautiful, caring people and great places. I feel the same way about my life here. We should consider ourselves very blessed- I do.

Angela O. hat gesagt…

Isn't it amazing how quickly time passes? And there are still so many places to visit and see. I'm glad you have very good friends . . . life is too short to waste on unfriendly people.

Katie McKenna hat gesagt…

So fabulous!! I miss Europe. Sometimes I forget the beauty of it all. Then too, there is beauty to be discovered in most places.