Montag, September 24, 2007

More memories of Weimar in August and looking forward to Fall...

How romantic... sitting and waiting for our meal, this carriage trotted by....
We wanted to have cake and coffee here, but all seats were taken!

So we settled for this café in Weimar, where we had cake and coffee and watched a horse-drawn carriage go by...


A double rainbow seen looking to the east from my east balcony just after a storm.



Fall has arrived, so I bid farewell to summer with these moments from August. Before the end of September the leaves are already changing to so many colors; I'll send pictures before too long.
But here I have more moments in Weimar: you have cake and coffee with us and sit at the lunch table as we are surprised by a carriage prancing by.
What does Fall mean to you? In Texas it means you finally get relief from the heat. In central Europe it means you get ready for real winter and lots of darkness for 4-5 months. And here in central Germany it also means the most colorful time of the year as the landscape dazzles you with orange, red, yellow, purple, brown, green, blue, and more colors of the dying/hibernating countryside.
But for me Fall is always the season that reminds me that death belongs to life and the cyle of life, and that death can also be stoundingly beautiful as it is a part of life and also matchlessly sad and full of grief.

2 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

What a gorgeous place. I can just imagine the grand colour scheme that the season change initiates, but here we are headed for summer so it is all the Spring colours popping up everywhere.

Karen hat gesagt…

I will always remember Fall in Germany as a train ride in early November across beautiful countryside. The scenery was breathtakingly beautiful, and I wish I could see it again. Incidentally that was the weekend I was visiting with you as you were in Germany on a survey trip in 2000.