Sonntag, November 18, 2007

Hospitals, Friends, and Winter...

The most beautiful woman in the world: my mother!
Scott (and I taking the pic) on the high speed train to Dresden.

Florian with his typical smile.... so inviting...


Hi there… Do you remember me? These days I sometimes wonder if I remember me. Shortly after my last blog entry my mother became rather ill – pneumonia, a urinary tract infection, and a few other things to boot. After an early morning in the local ER she spent about 5 days in the hospital and then a little over a month in a skilled nursing center getting her strength and weight back up to par. Thursday, just a few days ago, she finally went back home to stay.
Yes, she is getting older, and I have to get wiser fast. I was seriously considering a quick unscheduled flight to Dallas to see with my own eyes what was happening, but things stabilized enough to allow me to follow the events via daily telephone calls. And, our family has some priceless friends who give me new insight into God’s love and care for us. Randy, a friend of mine from Abilene, and Wilma, a former neighbor on my mother’s street, have shown us how the Father takes care of us through his angels.
During my next visit to Dallas in February I will look things over carefully to see if I need to begin making plans to permanently relocate to be close enough to my mother to help her on a regular basis.

And so my life in central Europe takes on a new hue – am I in the middle or at the end of a chapter of my life here in Germany?

During this upheaval a friend from Texas visited me. Scott, from Austin, spent a week with me. I realized how I have lost touch with everyday life in Texas after almost 5 years. Scott helped me see a perspective for returning to Texas, if that is my fate next year.
Scott discovered Leipzig with me, eating cake and tortes every day and traveling to Dresden to visit the Green Vault – the treasure chest of August the Strong – the King of Saxony who amassed incredible collections of every kind of priceless articles. His visit was too short.
Last Wednesday Scott flew back, and I had until Saturday to prepare for Florian – from Lübeck – and his weekend visit. With both Florian and Scott I was in the Museum der bildenenden Künste – Museum of Educational Arts – a very progressive museum of modern art.

Florian’s train left a few hours ago, so now I sit here looking out the window at the soupy gray sky and longing for some sun. Winter has already arrived in Leipzig. As Gabor, a friend, and I were putting my winter tires on my car Thursday, it started sleeting very heavily. Within a few minutes everything was white. Highs are now only about 40 degrees – 4 Celsius – every day. And this drab gray sky so dull that you can’t even make out the clouds – I am already tired of it.
But Christmas is coming, so the Christmas market will provide diversion from the cold. And what do you do to forget the cold in Winter – or do you even have real winter where you live? Lucky you….. and have a good Thanksgiving week too!

3 Kommentare:

Chris hat gesagt…

I amglad your mother is doing better now. Thanks for the update. Will you be celebrating Thanksgiving there?

Bettina hat gesagt…

So good to hear from you, Mark. I'm glad to hear your mother is doing better. I know exactely how you feel- after almost nine years of on and off away from home and almost five years in Brisbane, I am planning on moving back to Europe next year. Partially because I want to be closer to my parents.

These are the times when being so far away from your family becomes difficult. As much as I like living in Australia, I hated being so far away from home when my Grandmother was ill last year and died early this year.

All the best to you.

Anonym hat gesagt…

I am very glad that your Mum has stabilised and is doing better. A certain thing in life is that change will happen. You will no doubt adjust if you do have to return to the States. I hope you have a nice thanksgiving ... which is a holiday we don't celebrate here in N.Z. We just do the Christmas thing on 25th December and of course ... it is the opposite season to you too.