Dienstag, Oktober 07, 2008

Starbuck's is finally in Leipzig

This was at a Starbuck's in Cologne. Now I don't have to travel several hours to get to the next one...

Yesterday - Monday - was an eventful day, because Leipzig has finally joined the ranks of every major German city - it has at least one Starbuck's cafe. Of course, it looks, sounds, and smells like every Starbuck's, whether in the USA, in Munich, Berlin, or Cologne, or in an airport somewhere. I didn't have a lot of time today, so I only had one coffee and a sandwich of tomato, mozarella, and ciabatte. I did hear many different languages: British and American English, English with a German accent, normal Leipzig-German, accent-free standard German, and German with a thick Italian accent.
The Leipzig cafe is situated at the corner of the Nikolaistrasse and Brühl with a beautiful corner seating area providing a panoramic view of this part of the city centre.

I remember many conversations in Starbuck's in Berlin, Cologne, and in the Dallas area. But then I also remember that I often had my mother with me when visiting Starbuck's in Texas. So now the two worlds coalesce, erasing away some of the disparity between them.

4 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

There are Starbucks aplenty here in N.Z. I am sure you would feel most at home.

Bettina hat gesagt…

They have good coffee at Starbucks but I don't like the chain store atmosphere and I think the prices are absolutely horrendous. I bought a take away coffee at Starbucks for the first time again in probably about two years the other day and it cost about 7 Swiss Franks, while a coffee somewhere else costs about 4 Franks. And on top of that, they don't even have table service! I much prefer the little local cafes.

Euromark hat gesagt…

I think part of my affinity for Starbucks is that it reminds me of life in the USA. If you watch it, you can find some things there at a good price. Today I got the smallest coffee (which is like a big order in a normal café) for €1.90, which is a normal price, and a big lemon muffin for €2.00. The fancy drinks like a frappuchino are expensive indeed. I actually also prefer the little local cafés myself, but sometimes I need a taste of the USA.

Anonym hat gesagt…

I have been to the Starbuck's on Monday, too, before I went back to Berlin. I liked it, though I got the impression that the staff is still a bit unexperienced. Yet I agree with you that there is something special about Starbucks you cannot find easily in other coffee shops. Fortunately, in Berlin there is plenty of them.

Felix