Montag, November 24, 2008

Winter Wonderland in November....?

It's too early for this!! My geraniums are still blooming! Don't cover them up, Mr. Snowman...

Here we are in Frostyland and not even December yet.... This is the way our week is starting. I have just taken this photo a few minutes ago for your.... uh...pleasure. This weekend was busy, since I celebrated American Thanksgiving a few days early (Thanksgiving is on Thursday, but it is no holiday in Germany). We were seven people sitting at my table for a traditional Thanksgiving meal. The highlight of the evening for me was my pumpkin pie I made "from scratch" as we say - I even made the pie crust myself! And it tasted great. Everyone liked it. But when you go to the market and select a fresh pumpkin for the pie, you first have to bake it for an hour, then scrape the meat out and purée it in a blender. Then you do the rest of the recipe. It was a lot of work, but it was well worth it.

At Thanksgiving we give thanks, of course :-) What did I give thanks for? 2008 is a very bad year for me, overshadowed by the theft of my car in mid March and above all the death of my dear Mother on March 31. But I am always thankful for my loyal dears friends, and I reminded them of this at this meal. Of course, I have more friends here than only these at the table, but these at the table belong to the inner-circle of those who are helping me make it through this time of finding life after the death of the last parent. I want to share their (first) names with you: Stephan, Tobias and Claudia, Sebastian, Matthias and Gesine.

I'll go to work in a little and battle the snow, as I remember and give thanks for my dear friends here. Who are your friends you give thanks for?

4 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Oh that is such a pretty photo - but it does look cold. I am so glad you have had good, close friends to see you through 2008 with. We give thanks for them for you too! I have always been grateful for the friends that I have, even the ones from a distance.

ysfb hat gesagt…

Don't forget your blogger friends. Support from strangers tend to make me feel me better.

Leni Qinan hat gesagt…

Virtual friends -though they may be miles away- can be as supportive as those near you.

In spite of the fact that you miss the personal contact, distance does not exist anymore. ;)

Have a nice Thanksgiving Day!

Bettina hat gesagt…

This is about what it looks like here at the moment too- and it is so cold. I'm totally not used to it anymore.

Your Thanksgiving dinner sounds lovely. And what a great way to thank your closest friends for being there for you. I'm glad they were there to support you through the difficult times.

I give thanks to so many wonderful friends near and far who are close in my hear even when the geographical distance is great.