Sonntag, November 30, 2008

Torn Between Two Worlds....

My life in central Europe...

My home in a suburb of the Dallas Fort Worth area...

My home someday, when I join the rest of my family here - my parents, grandparents, and great grandparents.

Advent greetings to all as the Christmas season 2008 officially and liturgically begins. For me this has become the time of year I dislike the most. I am no Scrooge. December is jam-packed with too many Christmas parties, too many people who want to get together "one last time this year", and too many crowds in the Leipzig Christmas Market, which is supposed to be one of the best in Germany. And to these reasons comes another: this will be my first Christmas without any parents; they are all buried in the cemetary you see in the photo above. There is simply too much going on in 28 days, and I am always relieved when January 2nd arrives, signalling the return of normal life.

This year I am again in Texas over Christmas, but this visit will be very difficult - my first visit to the home I grew up in, when I will experience it without parents. As my life continues to be successful over here in the "old world", I am torn more and more between the two continents.

I have one brother left in my immediate family, and one cousin with whom I have a close relationship. But putting the facts on the table produces the following scenario: I have very little contact to anyone in the states anymore. There are about five people in Texas who keep in contact with my by email, and some of them read this blog. No-one ever calls me on the phone, never ever. My mother was faithful - she was the consummate model of faithful unconditional love - and she always called me if more than a week elapsed with no contact. Yet when I visit Texas for only three weeks, at least two friends from Germany call me just to see how I am doing. And I know they are waiting for postcards from Texas.

So is this simply no more than the "out-of-sight-out-of-mind" phenomenon? Or does this speak to the different nature of relationships on the two continents? In the German culture, you traverse a huge psychological distance when you move from stranger to acquaintance to friend, for you use a different pronoun to address a friend (du instead of Sie) and you use their first name and not their last name. And friends often greet each other very affectionately here - two grown males will hug each other with their cheeks pressing against each other, and female friends kiss each other on both cheeks - reminding us of French customs. Americans, in contrast, are the world champions in smiling and laughing, but close body contact is something many of us shy away from. I remember a comment from former President Clinton how he did not like to hug men.

It seems that Americans are much more self-made individuals, where Europeans more typically find their self-definition in the web of family and friends as a type of psychological safety net giving them a context for life. Think of the cartoon figures in the states: Batman, Robin, the Lone Ranger, Spider Man, they all are lones who don't really seem to have any close friends, and if they do find close friends, as Spider Man fell in love, it can spell problems for their identity as a hero.

With all of these thoughts in my mind, I will be glad when normal life returns, so that I will have more time to think about these things.

I hope Christmas can give you moments of reflection and peace.

8 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

I feel for you Mark. I well remember my first Christmas without my parents. Very hard and it is never quite the same season again. I think the European family way is much more "You" than the American/Western way. You have moved passed the old ... maybe it is time to let it go. There is no shame in becoming who you PREFER to be.
Blessings as you travel to the place you started out - and much good wishes on the journey beyond what you need to leave behind.

Bettina hat gesagt…

I so understand your being torn between the two places... as you know I share the feeling. It's a decision only you can make and you will need to take some time and find the answer in yourself. This trip to the States will be a good opportunity also to see how you feel there without your parents and whether you could still see yourself living there. The impression I personally have of you is a much more European one than an American one. That's all I can say- but I can imagine you so much better in Europe than in Texas.

Euromark hat gesagt…

I am not in emotional upheaval over this; actually, it is an envious situation, because I have (and will continue to have) the option to decide where I want to live. Thanks for your insight and viewpoints, Aggie and Bettina.

Chris hat gesagt…

God has blessed me with both of my parents so I can not say I have gon through what you have gone through. But I do hope you will find time to come down to Austin and visit me. If you do the beers are on me. What the hell. I will even give you a kiss. At least it is scriptural.

Euromark hat gesagt…

yes Chris, I will come to visit you - to cash in on the beers and the kiss and other scriptural expressions of closeness :-) Thank you for thinking of me.

ysfb hat gesagt…

I agree. American culture just made everybody self loathing. I'm not a touchy feely person. I don't know how everybody else feels but I tend to keep my emotions in and basically it comes out visually on my really depressed days, and thats when people tend to want to get closer to me, which makes me hate the closeness even more. I don't know, I just need to work on that a little more.

Euromark hat gesagt…

I think there is a tendency in classless (socially classless, that is) societies like the USA to "dumb down" many things, such as ways we express ourselves. So, ysfb, I agree with you, so much effusive display of emotion in public seems cheesy and often pathetic to me.

Helene hat gesagt…

Its a tough but wonderful place to be Mark. Having to choose between 2 places you love.

I have always wanted to live abroad. I studied in London and thought I would move there someday, but someday never happened. Perhaps when my kids are in college I will find a way to do so. In the mean time I just visit as often as I can. lol