Samstag, Dezember 16, 2006

I'll be home for Christmas / Weihnachten Daheim...

I’ll be home for Christmas…

…as the melancholy song goes. Tuesday will be a long day – getting up at 3:30 am. and taking the first tram at 4:15 am. to the airport. The flight leaves at six for Frankfurt, and then from Frankfurt 11 hours to Dallas Fort Worth airport. Then 21 days of the Metroplex and ultimate individualistic free market enterprise. It will be good and important to be with family during these three weeks when most of my courses are on pilot light phase anyway. I will also have some time to see a few friends in the Dallas – Fort Worth area and maybe even in Central Texas. Since I have no car of my own, and I have much to do for my mother, I may only have one very quick trip to central Texas.
I am now one month short of living in Leipzig for four years. These have been four of the best years of my life, and it keeps getting better. While I look forward to seeing my “home” and family again, to sleeping in the bedroom that has been mine since I was 3 years old, my life in Texas seems more and more a part of the past as Germany becomes more and more my home. I will notice new slang expressions in American English that are strange to me, new devices and products, new stores, and new people in the lives of friends, just as there are many new words and people in my life: I don’t speak normal American English anymore, and all of my friends here are Germans. Did you know that no American (besides me) has ever been in my current apartment? That’s okay; it simply underscores the dichotomy in my life. So I am packing my baggage to take a short trip to the place I grew up in; the milieu that “hard wired” my personality, even though my Texas accent is gone without a trace. After tarrying long enough to make my luggage smell American, I’ll whiz back to Germany and open my suitcase and smell the aroma of Texas and of my mother’s house and wonder where it all went…

So, let this be a lesson to all of us: as with so many things in life, the good and the bad are often intertwined; we decide which threads will dominate, which melodies will climb above the others and establish the dominant themes.

Na so was: man soll sich ja darauf freuen, die Heimat wieder zu sehen. Ja, Freude ist da, aber ich bin vielfach einfach unentschlossen, denn ich bin beinahe 4 Jahre in Leipzig, und das sind die schönsten Jahre meines Lebens bisher, und es wird momentan, mindestens, nur besser (bin ja Ami und muss ja optimistisch sein…). Wer diese Sätze lesen kann, versteht wohl das Gefälle: die alten Freunde in den USA melden sich schon längst nicht mehr, und ich muß immer emsig nach jemandem suchen, der mich vom Flughafen in Dallas abholt: willkommen zuhause! Bei meiner Mutter habe ich viele nützliche Aufgaben: Hecken schneiden, Blätter rechen, Rasen mähen, Fenster und Gitter putzen, Autos putzen, im Hause putzen, Garage a bissl entrümpeln, und dann auch schön in Dallas shoppen, Postkarten an die Freunde in Leipzig, Pirna, und Lübeck schicken, Geschenke für meine Lieben in Deutschland finden – das macht alles Spaß, aber viel von diesen 21 Tagen besteht nur daraus, dass ich Sachen für andere mache. Das ist schon in Ordnung, aber wer die deutschen Urlaubssitten kennt, weiß, dass hier keiner den Urlaub plant, in dem er hauptsächlich nur Dinge für andere macht. Und so steht die Welt für mich jetzt Kopf: alle hier wollen scheinbar irgendwie in die USA, womöglich endgültig, aber ich fühle mich sehr wohl hier in Mitteleuropa. Mal schauen, wie ich bis Mitte Januar schreibe. Bis dann würde ich mich auf Beiträge von euch freuen, in denen ihr so eure Erfahrungen oder einfach Sicht der Dinge mal mitteilt. Danke fürs Lesen und Schreiben!

2 Kommentare:

Angela O. hat gesagt…

Yeah! Congratulations on getting to come home! May your trip be easy and safe.

Bettina hat gesagt…

I understand you so well and feel very similar in a lot of ways. I have left Switzerland eight years ago and after going back and forth for a while, have now lived in Brisbane, Australia for close to four years. I also feel like I'm loosing touch with my old friends back home, as much as I miss them, and I'm often not sure anymore where my home is. But rather than thinking that I have no real home anymore, I tend to think that I have homes everywhere now... Good luck with your trip and all the best. Don't get too stressed and make sure you factor some "me-time" in for yourself.