Donnerstag, Dezember 28, 2006

Shifting Christmas Gears in Texas / Durch die Gänge in Texas

Eleven days later I have successfully progressed past the most severe reverse culture shock in Texas. Christmas is over – without stress and angst. Now early capitalism gets in gear as I begin to shop shop shop. The latest booty: a pair of Levis slim fit and a book on literary criticism (which I really like, because it includes chapters on colonial criticism, gay and lesbian criticism, and other often neglected ways of reading texts. I am looking forward to this interesting read on the plane back to Leipzig.)
Of course, I have already indulged in several prerequisites to re-acculturation: one meal in a Mexican restaurant, several visits to Starbucks, one evening at La Madeleine French country restaurant, and today a meal at the California Pizza Kitchen. And, Half Price Book Store has already seen my face.
So, do you notice a trend here? What typifies my time here?
So, to the people: Of course, I see my family daily, since I am staying at my mother’s place. And the depths of the past have divulged friends not seen for ages. Saturday I was in a music store when out of the corner a female voice called my first and last name – it was LuAnne, an old friend from high school band, who I hadn’t seen for ten years! Then yesterday the pastor of my mother’s church dropped by; I have known him since I was 17. And today I had lunch with a friend I have known since I was 14. These meetings underscore the degree of change my life has experienced. As positive as such meetings – chance and planned – are, they have only highlighted how several years of life in another country change you. And yet I realize that most of my time here will not be spent with all the people I used to know in those woebegone days of yesteryear. So many people have moved on without enough desire for keeping in touch to precipitate successful attempts to contact me.
So, is there only family and Starbucks, Half Price Books, Pizza and Mexican restaurants and shopping, and playing the piano and running three times a week? Yes, this is “Jammern auf hohem Niveau” in Germany, or “high level complaing in English, but even this very act belies the European existentialism that has infiltrated my personality, for the American would say, “so what? Just have fun and don’t sweat the small stuff! If you don’t see those people now, who knows what the future will bring?” Okay, lets Americanize – for now – and just enjoy the moment. We are having fine weather, after all, and all are in good health. And I am thankful for these things…
I hope you – wherever you are – are also having a good and safe holiday season.

Your
Euromark, who is at the moment, well, “Texomark.” P.S. Es tut mir leid, aber ich bin im Augenblick überhaupt nicht gelaunt, Deutsch zu schreiben. Also müßt ihr euch mit English abquälen. Wenn das ein Problem bereitet, dann ruft mich einfach an :-) !

1 Kommentar:

Angela O. hat gesagt…

What? No BBQ, yet?

Glad you are having a good, though somewhat of a culture-shock, trip back to Texas.

Happy New Year and safe travel . . .