Montag, Februar 23, 2009

Hubert de Givenchy on Elegance...

The minimalist "Bauhaus" style is in demand - some say it's elegant, while others find it stark or boring.

"The greatest elegance is that of the heart, which consists of doing good works with the highest degree of confidentiality, even anonymously. Elegance is always inconspicuous and never intrusive; it does not indulge itself in luxuriousness and display. Elegance is always the refinement of that which is simple and almost indiscernable..."

This quote is my translation from an article in which Givenchy commented on elegance. After all the pomp of Christmas, and now Carneval, and the Oscars yesterday in the USA, I needed a little refreshment and airing-out of my senses.

6 Kommentare:

Helene hat gesagt…

What an interesting description of elegance! I dont know that I necessarily agree with all of it as a generalization, but it is interesting to hear anothers perspective!

I love the building. Not sure if I would be drawn to live there, but for office space etc I think it would be cool!

I can see how it would be found both elegant and plain. The great thing about opinions, is that we all have them and they are as diverse as we all are!

Anonym hat gesagt…

I like plain and elegant, but I don't like the bunker look. Also, buildings, as with the heart, its not so much about the external but the internal.
Oscars? I never watch them ... I find the whole USA celeb obsession quite unfathomable and I think most of what they spit out movie wise (these days) is garbage anyway. Lol!
I hope you are feeling refreshed.

Helene hat gesagt…

Hey Mark,
I was wondering, seeing that you are in Europe, if you have driven between Venice and Rome, Italy?

My family and I will be traveling abroad in a month or so and are planning to rent a car and drive from Rome to Venice (as opposed to taking the train). It will likely be longer( 5-6 hrs vs 4 I think), but will allow us to side trip and see Florence for a few hours on the leg back.

I have read very mixed reviews as to whether to drive or take the train and wondered if you had any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!
Helene

Chris hat gesagt…

Nice quote. What is your opinion of the Bauhaus look Mark?

Euromark hat gesagt…

I like the "Bauhaus" minimalist look, but it is hard to keep up with. As soon as anything shows age - faded paint, dirt, stains, cracks, etc. - it starts looking cheap and trashy. As much as I love the look of a miminalist kitchen, I don't know if I could keep it clean enough to always look classy.

Middle Ditch hat gesagt…

Nice to see so many of my friends here. Okay, all I can say is amen to that. I love that quote.