Dienstag, März 24, 2009

de profundis clamavi ad te Domine Domine exaudi vocem meam

Reconciliation fulfilled by the perfect death and then resurrection - the alter of the church in Bad Schandau
Spring flowers remind us of the gift of life

The last week has begun. One year ago in this week my mother's condition began deteriorating rapidly. When the pulmonary physician said to her, "I don't like your condition at all; you are too weak to take care of yourself. You have to go to a nursing home so others can take this burden off of you." She was crushed, and I was scrambling trying to figure out how to arrange admission to a reliable nursing home in her area. Even brushing her teeth wore her out, and when home health care noticed she was stumbling through the house and falling asleep at the table, they called the doctor to arrange her immediate admission to the hospital for tests. And so she walked out of her house she had lived in since 1964, not knowing she would never see it again.

I loved (and still do) to climb trees. When I was three I was in the back yard one morning climbing and went too far - so far that I couldn't go back out of fear, so I though I would drop down on the ground. I was hanging there by my fingers when I looked down and realized it was too far to drop, so I started yelling for my mother to come. Quickly she ran out - dressed for work in her smart skirt, hose, high heels, etc., and there I was saying she had to catch me when I let go. After some discussion I finally let go and she caught me, but she never let me know how scared she was during that whole event. But that was more than my mother standing there catching me. Jesus' words on the cross were the same: "into your hands I commend my spirit." These were his words to his father, our father, who never lets us down. She'll catch me again when I see her next time.

2 Kommentare:

Helene hat gesagt…

Well written.

Its so difficult to lose a Mother. For me, its like a hole in the core of me. Its been 3 years, so the wound is not as raw as the year after, but its still something that affects me daily in some way or another.

Your story of the tree climbing was very touching. As a Mother I can just picture myself doing the same thing. Arms open wide, praying the entire time that my son didnt get hurt!

I wish you peace this week.

Anonym hat gesagt…

I'm pleased you have evidence of Spring over there at last. We are getting much cooler here in the mornings. You always miss those you are most close to - my Mother died over 20 yrs ago, but I still think of her often. The heartache is long gone, but remembrance never fades. Much like the world after I think. Heartache is gone, but remembrance will remain.