Sonntag, März 29, 2009

Time stands still as the garment of our lives is torn beyond repair.



As time races by, remembrance keeps it standing still. In just a few hours I will remember how I came home from teaching all day on Monday, and in the late afternoon saw the message light blinking on my phone. I had a sick feeling already, and when I listened to the message, "This is the nurses' station, please call us as soon as possible," I started shaking all over. I have never known that kind of fear in my life. I knew I would be on a plane to Texas the next morning, but I had no idea what was about to happen. Within two hours I was speaking my last words to my mother via phone as my brother was at her side with many other friends, and my cousin and aunt were racing to the hospital.

I will never forget my last words to my mother. Somehow I kept my composure and made a quick summary of our life together and how we would continue it after a few years of separation now, and that when we see each other again we will never be separated again for all eternity. I said I envied her, that she was about to be back together with all our other family members forever and catch them up on everything we've been doing all these years.

This hope is stonger that a year ago, yet the fabric of our lives has been torn beyond repair in this life - a huge central section of the garment of my life has been ripped out, and my life testifies to this unrighteousness as it looks forward to setting right all of these wrongs.

Until then I hope this short slide show can do some honour to my dear mother. The choir is singing Psalm 130 of the Penitential Psalms from the late medieval German composer Orlando de Lasso. This is an excerpt of the choir in which I sung here in this city in Germany. As we sing of the depths from which we call to God to hear our voice, we know we all face this someday at death, when travel through the shadowy valley to be in that existence called "paradise".

Our mother always modeled God's unconditional love to her family. She was faithful and dedicated; nothing was too much for her when it concerned her family. As well as I knew her, I know she waits and waits now with our father and our grandparents for the garment of our lives to be finally repaired.

Please join me in thankful loving remembrance of a faithful loving Christian lady, wife, and mother whose smile always made the day brighter.

4 Kommentare:

ysfb hat gesagt…

Giving my condolences is something you probably have been hearing for the longest. So I'll give you something to think about. She's done a lot for you and for everybody around her. In life she brought love & happiness, and now she will spread the love and happiness to more people. Dwell on the happiness, it'll be want she wanted.

Anonym hat gesagt…

Lovely. I think that the fabric tear is only on this side of the hereafter. I suspect that your Mum will blink in heaven and there you'll be!

Helene hat gesagt…

I loved the photo of her in front of the Wisteria... perfect with her purple jacket...

This was a nice tribute to her.

Bettina hat gesagt…

I love the way you loved her. It is those feelings that make the world a better place. And though you might miss her incredibly, I don't think the garment is really torn. Nothing can ever truly seperate you, as we can never truly own or lose anything.