Montag, März 09, 2009

More Loving Memories


In this photo you see my great uncle "Willie" with my mother. I took this picture in September 2002, while my mother was visiting me in Austin. Willie was living in Austin in the North Loop area with his third wife (He outlived the first two.). He was about 96 years old at this time and probably the last member of our family from that generation still alive. He reminded us about the stories of his father, how Fritz Tesmer got on a ship in East Prussia when he was 18 to leave the old world and start a new life in Texas. My mother was so happy to see her uncle after so many years.
During my visit to Texas in December 2006 to January 2007, my mother and I drove down to Taylor to visit the cemetary where many on that side of the family are buried. We wondered if Willie was still alive. I found a new grave with his head stone, so we answered our question - he had died in March 2006, and with him a generation passed out of this life. And two years later my mother rejoined him. Within two years we experienced almost two complete generations passing out of this life.
With all of these events, suddenly 18 year old Fritz Tesmer's decision to board the ship to Texas in 1883 no longer seems so far in the past. Soon we turn around, and our children's children will stand at our graves, hopefully taking photos and blogging, documenting the past as we all learn to be thankful for each other.

5 Kommentare:

Karen hat gesagt…

Sometimes your posts about your mother make me tear up. I miss her also. Thanks for sharing another story.

Anonym hat gesagt…

Lasting until 96 was pretty good. It is the cycle of life for sure and at least you can be reassured by the continuity of family.

Euromark hat gesagt…

I didn't mention that uncle Willie reminded us of my mother's father so much - they were brothers, and their mannerisms, ways of talking, etc. were always so similar. So it was also almost like seeing my grandfather again after he died in 1982.

Chris hat gesagt…

I wonder what made him immigrate? Was he avoiding the Prussian military, or was the economic opportunity just better in Texas? Does it seem like a circle is complete with you moving back to Germany?

Euromark hat gesagt…

There were always wars in Europe, so compulsory service meant all males had to fight, and he didn't want to. Also, our family were poor farmers in in the Vistula river bottom. He had friends and family who had come to Texas, so he knew people could help him over there.
When I visited the village where he grew up in August 2006, the circle seemed to complete. But it also made me realize that your center of life is portable - it can go with you. I have no desire to live there where he was born, but visiting it again would be intereting.