Montag, August 11, 2008

encore Berlin

Voilà La Fayette! A glass cylinder in the middle becomes a fashion statement...
Ludwig helps Felix select drinking pots...
Ludwig leaving the mens department wearing his purchase...
Ludwig and Felix (and I) eating in the restaurant section of La Fayette...
The Von Humbholt statue in front of the Humbholt University in central Berlin

What do you do in the middle of August? Go to Berlin on the weekend. That is what I did. With the high-speed train from Leipzig, I was at the main train station in Berlin on Saturday morning after only one hour of a rail jaunt. I can always go to Berlin, but this was a way to spend the weekend with Felix and Ludwig - two brothers originally from Leipzig. 

We wanted to see the Babylon exhibit at the Pergamon Museum, but the line was terribly long, so we opted for the Martin Gropius building with a museum hosting an exhibit on "the Graves of Paestum" - remnants from a temple and grave area in southern Italy. We ate Saturday at "Gorilla" - a natural food restaurant, where I discovered that gorillas only eat plants - I never knew vegetarians could get so strong and big.... 

Well, it was a wonderful weekend with shopping at La Fayette, KaDeWe, and other places. Enjoy my photos and come to Berlin! As the mayor there says, "Berlin is poor but sexy." If I go there, then both must be true...lol. 

5 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Looks like an interesting weekend.
I've posted some scenic pics of mine.
What is a "drinking pot" in Germany and what would be it's use?

Euromark hat gesagt…

A drinking pot - my invention. Felix wanted rather large mugs with no handles, so I dubbed them "drinking pots" - they could almost be flower pots. I will look for your ocean view pics, Aggie.

Bettina hat gesagt…

A weekend in Berlin is on the cards for me sometime soon- I've got a couple of friends there and everyone tells me the place is really happening.

Glad you had fun.

Anonym hat gesagt…

I'd certainly love a weekend in Berlin ... I'd even buy a drinking pot to keep in vogue! It looks a vibrant place and it's many years since I was there.

Euromark hat gesagt…

Berlin has a unique combination - the biggest city between Paris and Moscow, but very reasonable prices, and a fantastic public transportation system. So many off-the-wall cafés, bars, clubs, etc. so close to each other. But I heard more English than German in the city, which is okay.