Montag, Juli 17, 2006

Suddenly Berlin! Auf einmal Berlin!

Above is the statue of Fredrick the Great, located in the middle of the famous street Unter den Linden. My own Prussian heritage makes me soft for anything reminding me of that...
This is my favorite place in Berlin, the Gendarmenmarkt, where Prussian pomp and French noble restraint battle it out in the architecture...
This, the Berlin Cathedral, is Prussian pomp at its best. It was accross the street from the castle where the Kaisers, the Hohenzollerns, lived.
Thursday I went to the foreign office to pick up the next extension of my residence permit. All was paid when the lady discovered I had no pages left in my passport for the new permit, so she could not officially issue it. I had to go to the US Embassy as quickly as possible to get more pages pasted in. Since my current permit would expire on the 20th of this month, I had to move quickly. That meant Friday at 6:42 am. I was sitting in the ICE train on my way to Berlin. At 8:45 am. I was in the embassy and by 9:45 am. I had the extra pages inserted (at no charge), and I had the rest of the day to spend in Berlin. So, I visited the places you see in these three photos and many more - KaDeWe - one of the largest department stores in Europe, Postdam Square, the Hackischen Höfe, and I just walked all day. I love Berlin, so any reason to go is fine, but I had to move quickly. By the way, the picture of the Gendarmenmarkt was taken from my seat in a restaurant, where I ate a lunch with a salad, main course (fish) with noodles and sauce and dessert all for €5,50 - not bad at all. I hope you enjoy these photos, and above all, breathe a sigh of relief with me, that the US Embassy does things at no charge for Americans - this is not the case in other countries.

4 Kommentare:

Chris hat gesagt…

Nice. I can see why you like Europe so much. Congrats on the extension.

BTW, I just picked up a biography of Frederick the Great by Giles MacDonogh at Half Priced Books that I can not wait to read.

Euromark hat gesagt…

Yes Friedrich der Große was a controversial figure - he spoke terrible German, but flawless literary French, he was gay, brilliant, and his father nearly killed him. George Washington thought a lot of him.

Chris hat gesagt…

I guess he was not too controversial, otherwise he would not be known as "The Great"!

Euromark hat gesagt…

Well, in Germany someone can be great and be very controversial. Think about Willy Brandt, for example. A lot of the details about him only came to light over a hundred years after his death. What he did for Prussia is considered great, that is probably more the reason for his applique. Germans aren't that sentimental, generally, so personal inclination to someone wouldn't play as much a role.